"Children are one third of our population and all of our future."
-Select Panel for the Promotion of Child Health

Saturday, November 13, 2010

California's Prop 19 Loses

A couple weeks ago on November 2 California voted on whether or not to make recreational marijuana smoking legal. Californians, by a pretty wide margin, chose not to legalize it. A big concern for voters was how much pot would be misused, like workers showing up to work high, if it was legalized. I feel like this is a bad move for the state. I'm not a smoker myself and I definitely don't condone it, especially underage smoking, but it's easy to see how much money the financially struggling California could make from taxing the weed. Plus, marijuana isn't a substance I would consider any more dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, so the government should give people the responsibility to choose whether or not they can smoke it. I understand that marijuana isn't the best thing to put into your body, but I think it's time for grown adults to be given that personal responsibilty, especially when it means bringing the state one step closer to a balanced budget. Let me know what you think.

Proposition Overview

No comments:

Post a Comment