"Children are one third of our population and all of our future."
-Select Panel for the Promotion of Child Health

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Repealed in House

The infamous "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays and lesbians openly serving in the military has been overturned by the House today. It will now to go the Senate to be voted on. Personally I hope the ban is overturned. I'm not a huge fan of being homosexual, but banning any group from joining the military is blatant discrimination. If anyone wants to serve, I say let them serve. Conservative Republicans are fighting the repeal, however. I think the funniest quote in this article is, "The United States military is not the YMCA. It's something special, and this is a liberal crusade to create a utopia." Republican Representative Duncan Hunter from California said that and, honestly, I'm disappointed. Ending discrimination is not a "crusade to create a utopia" and having homosexuals in the military doesn't take anything away from the prestige of the United States military. Last time I checked we needed all the support we could get in Afghanistan. However, the article did mention a recent Pentagon study that showed discontent from the Army and Marines if the ban were to be lifted, and I think we do have to take the feelings of the current soldiers into account. So I don't know, it is a tough situation if other soldiers are going to have a hard time doing their jobs with homosexuals, but I think in the end it's time for us to progress as a society and begin to accept the value of all people, even if you don't accept their lifestyle.

House passes 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal

No comments:

Post a Comment