"Children are one third of our population and all of our future."
-Select Panel for the Promotion of Child Health

Saturday, December 18, 2010

DREAM Act Fails in Senate

First of all, I'd just like to give an update on my last post: the 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal was passed by the Senate and will be signed into law by the president this week. Alright, now something I haven't really talked about is the DREAM Act, a bill that offers citizenship to some illegal aliens that entered the U.S. as children. The bill failed in the Senate by five votes. It passed in the House but, unlike the 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal, failed in the Senate. Most Democrats, including the president, are fans of this legislation and are going to continue to push for it. I can see both sides of the issue. On one side, the legislation supports illegal immigration which is, well, illegal. But, I can also see why some officials would want to offer those who are genuinely trying to better themselves but can't because of their illegal status citizenship. I think in the end though, it's good this didn't pass. There are legal ways of becoming a naturalized citizen, so I don't think a bill like this, that promotes the notion that this country isn't concerned about border patrol, is appropriate.

Procedural vote on DREAM Act fails in Senate

No comments:

Post a Comment